Thursday, September 11, 2008

Where were you?

I have noticed on a couple of blogs, people reflecting on the events of 9/11 and couldn't help but add my share.
Where was I?
I had been volunteering at the local high school and had been invited to help with a lab in a sports medicine class. I remember having to get up early to make it there on time and having no interest in the news at the time I didn't even bother turning it on. When I arrived at the school I had no idea what was going on. A girl I was "working" with asked me what I thought about what had happened I had no idea what she was talking about. When she told me the World Trade Center was no longer I didn't grasp the enormity of it all. It wasn't until later that I realized that the World Trade Center and the Twin Towers were the same thing. I sat down waiting for class to start and instead found myself mesmerized by the broadcast that they had on in the classroom. The administration soon asked all the teachers to turn it off. They were worried the students would react badly if they watched it. I didn't agree with that worry, I wanted to watch, to know what was going on in the world. I am sure most, if not all, of the students wanted to watch also. It wasn't until about 2 yrs ago that I finally watched the footage. It is a horrible scar left on the face of our country, along with many others.
The thing that I find funny is that back when it happened every one I heard talking about it said something to the effect of "let's get em" and once we did many people were angry. So much sadness and anger. Something that initially brought the country together as one now seems to be tearing it apart. I don't like it at all.

No comments: