Friday, January 22, 2010

Avoid the very appearance...

First let me say, I am not an idiot.
At least I don't think so.
This past week I have been hit by the awfulness that can be found through the world wide web.
Hit hard.
At the beginning of the week I was on the phone with my Mom.
Our conversation was trivial, about how things are going and what's new and exciting.
My Mom mentioned a book she wanted to read and I mentioned another one that was very good by the same author that she would probably like. She said that she thought she had heard that it was being made into a movie. I hadn't heard that and so being me I immediately went to google it. My thoughts were completely innocent as I typed in the title of the book and then clicked onto youtube to see what I thought was a trailer. Usually when you click to see a youtube video it pulls up and starts to play. I paused it before it really started and scrolled down to read the comments, fortunately, because it was NOT what I thought it was!!!
Horrified I quickly closed out of it and mentioned to my Mom that this was not what I thought it was! Anyway our conversation lead away from what I was so grateful I hadn't watched and on to other things and the moment was forgotten. We finished the phone call and I went on with my day. Later I went to work on my computer and was having problems getting the internet to work, I couldn't figure it out and just left it alone. In the midst of making dinner and waiting for Phil to get home the problem was forgotten. Later after dinner Phil went to do some work on my computer and was all,
"What?"
and I was all,
"Oh yeah, I don't know what is wrong, will you fix it for me?"
and then he was all,
"Hmmmm,"
trying to figure it out and finding it was something nasty, he went along trying to fix it.

Then it came to me just what had happened, so annoyed at my idocity, I explained to him what had happened with the conversation I had with my Mom and then the search for the book and the finding the youtube video...
He, upon hearing the title of the book, was all,
"Honey!!!"
He knew exactly what had pulled up.
He being wiser than I, rolled his eyes and went on with trying to fix the problem.

So lesson learned, be very, very careful what you click on in the future.

P.S. We still haven't gotten my computer working :( I am writing this post on Phil's awesome computer not mine). Its a sad thing, but going a few days or weeks (cross my fingers we can get it working again) without facebook, twitter, and blogs is a good thing to do once in a while :D

5 comments:

Shell said...

I'm so curious as to what you were looking up! So I can avoid it. LOL

Shannon and Doug said...

I second that. What was the book?!!! lol By the way, it is so true what you are talking about. You really do have to be so careful. Makes me very scared when my kids are old enough to use it. yikes!

The Mecham Family said...

Oh that stinks!!!

Liz Mays said...

Oh how awful!!!

Wendy and Michael said...

yeah Rose what was the book??