Wednesday, January 13, 2010

TV

These are the warning signs:
-when they wake-up in the morning the first thing they ask is to watch TV.
-when we eat breakfast they ask me to please keep the TV on.
-when I turn off the TV to say the blessing on the food they all but have an emotional breakdown
-when I turn off the TV because I say "Enough!!!" they say "ok" only to beg me minutes later to turn it on.
-when they are watching TV they go into a trance and there is no getting through to them.
-when I don't turn it on they start to negotiate "we can watch one of your shows Mom, just turn the TV on".

Really they want to have it on so badly they are willing to let me watch one of my boring Mommy shows!

I really hate to admit it but my children are totally and completely addicted to TV. It must stop, it really must stop now! I know I brought this upon us I am willing to admit to that. So now I can stop it, right? Oh it is so much easier said than done isn't it? :(
It all started with me being pregnant with Sissy Fenix, I was so sick and tired all I wanted to do was lay on the couch and moan all day. With two rowdy boys I knew that would never happen because for entertainment they liked to jump on me. So I did what anyone in my position would do, I said, "Hey guys how about if we watch some shows?!"
So we did for 9 months we watched shows.
I kept telling myself that once the baby came we would stop watching so much TV. And now seven months after my baby came we are still watching TV!
Its become easier to have the TV babysit them while I tend to this and that.
But at what price?
At what price :(


5 comments:

Shannon and Doug said...

Well if you want my opinion here it is. I too have battled with the horrible t.v. But I honestly feel that sometimes it is better then the alternitive (a crazy mom). My kids do watch a lot of t.v but they have also learned a lot cool things from it. I just avoid the mind rot shows and go for more educational ones. I really like PBS. You are right that enough is enough but don't beat yourself up over it or feel bad about them watching shows so you can get stuff done. Kids and wifley duties are a lot to juggle and sometimes you just need your sanity to get through. You are a good mom.

The Mommyologist said...

Mine is addicted to, but the worst part? So am I. I honestly have no idea how parents survive without TV. It got me through so many 3:00am mornings and ables me to get things done around the house. I may not win parent of the year anytime soon, but I just don't think I can give it up!!

wishful nals said...

certainly not easy!

Mary Ellen said...

Oh, I'm right there with you girl. Our TV addiction started for the same reason your's did... shall we call it "pregnancy induced?"

I doubt it's doing any long term damage, so don't beat yourself up so much!

Briann said...

I know what you mean! Leah loves loves loves Elmo and anything Sesame Street, thats all she will watch and she wines and cries if you don't put the DVD in! I don't know what to do either, im sure it's my fault, I have lots of mommy shows too!