Monday, March 7, 2011

Chest pain

Oh the horror, the anguish, the heart ache, that is chest pain.
For me on Friday it was chest pain due to a heart attack.
No, not a myocardial infarction.
But a heart attack none the less.
I can handle the chest pain,
I've had years of experience training me to do so.
But this sort of chest pain/heart attack you just can't ever be ready for.

So what happened, are you ready?

It was a nice sunny afternoon.
I had taken my boys swimming, and then to Grandma's house to play for a bit.
We were on our way home.
I had a party to go to so I needed to get home and shower off all of the pool water.
That darned chlorine always makes me itchy.

So there I was alone with my children,
driving home on the I-15 freeway.

Now maybe if there wasn't so much road construction going on,
or maybe if it wasn't Friday afternoon,
(The traffic was bumper to bumper, but still going fast)
I wouldn't have had as big of a problem.

As it was I had just past the last AF exit.
And that is when it happened.

I noticed that Lyon had taken off his seatbelt.
HEART ATTACK!!!!!

I am driving between 55 and 60 MPH.
There isn't an adequate shoulder to pull over on,
plus if I did manage to pull over on the shoulder,
I'd never be able to safely merge back onto the freeway.

I was horrified, I couldn't do anything!!!
I kept my eyes on the road,
desperately trying not to panic.

I instructed Lyon to put his seatbelt back on.
I thought he had it!
He pulled the seat belt across his lap,
I could hear it knocking into the buckle.
And thinking he had it I passed the PG exit.

Only to witness Lyon giving up on the seat belt.
NOOOOOOOO!!!!
HEART ATTACK!!!!!

I took deep breaths,
we could make it to the Lindon exit,
surly we'd be okay.

But then,
Bear decided to take control of the situation.
He climbed out of his own seatbelt.
He climbed over to Lyon's side of the car,
and strapped that seatbelt on.
Then quickly climbed back into his own seat and strapped on his own seatbelt.
This action of course caused me to suffer yet more chest pain,
and another HEART ATTACK!!!!

As we sailed past the Lindon exit all was well in my car again.
Heart attacks fading quickly and quietly into the past,
only to resurface each time I revisit this memory.

Drive safely everybody.
Seat belts buckled!






1 comment:

The Mecham Family said...

Eeek! That's a horrible feeling!