Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Face-it...

I've come to a realization;
for a long time I've been very open on Facebook. I've never minded anyone and everyone being my friend, and I've never minded anyone and everyone commenting on anything I've said as my status or a comment on someone else's. If I have a comment to make on a friends status I'll make it, don't people like comments? Isn't that why we post a status?
Yesterday in making such a comment I came to the realization that my above thought isn't how everyone thinks. Though Facebook is a SOCIAL NETWORK, not everyone wants to be social. That's okay, that's why there are PRIVACY SETTINGS, that's why you can CHOOSE WHO IS YOUR FRIEND, you can CHOOSE WHO ISN'T. If you don't want to interact with people you don't know, you shouldn't be posting something where everyone can see it, should you???

So my realization, not everyone thinks the same way I do, and though I have no problem with that, I have been overcome with confusion and questions.

I'm wondering why I am facebook friends with so many people that I don't really know and who don't know me. I have friends who I've never met, but because they are an acquaintance I've added them as friends and many have accepted my request....

My point is I don't want to associate with people I don't know, don't talk to, don't like, or don't really care about, anymore. I have very few facebook friends that I actually interact with meaningfully on Facebook. I've liked seeing where the people I've grown up with and gone to school with have ended up. I've liked the many different views and opinions on various subjects. I like seeing friendly debates on various topics. Reading another's view is very educational in understanding and empathizing and loving others. I think it makes judging others harder because you can see how and why they are thinking about a matter.
But I may be alone in looking at Facebook and comments that way.

Yesterday I spent a good amount of time sorting through my Facebook friends. I'm a little sad to say that I've deleted more than half of them. I'm not even finished deleting... I've found myself wanting only to be friends with close family, very close friends, and some ward members.
I feel bad about it.
It kind of hurts to find that someone has deleted you as a friend. I am really hoping that most of these "friends" that I've deleted won't notice or care, lol!
My next step is going to be setting this blog to private, for real this time, lol! Being social and public has been fun for a while, but I need a break from all the drama that comes with it.

It's kind of a relief in a way. Freeing even.

My name is Rose and I am humbly bowing out of sight for a while :D



3 comments:

Shannon and Doug said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Vanessa said...

First I went through and did this (went through my friend list) and then I noticed all the people who had un-friended me. Really hurt. Then a couple of other things happened with FB...and now I'm done! Although I do miss out on some things (pictures of new babies of friends...seeing if my friend had a miscarriage and missed out on being there for her right away.....) but it's better for me to not be on it.

Worthy Family said...

I know it's a bit late, but I was wondering why I was no longer your FB friend....I noticed right away! I loved your updates. I'm just now reading this because my computer has been on the fritz! I hope to be able to keep reading your blog.....I quite enjoy it!